Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Focus - Metal Foil Tape Sheets

Hi all, Linda here having a little play time with one of my favorite crafty goodies - Ranger's metal foil tape sheets.  First of all, let me apologize for the poor quality of my photos.  Don't know what happened to my camera settings but all the photos came out very dark.  I have edited them to lighten them up but they are still not great.  You can click on a photo to enlarge it to better see the details; click twice for super large viewing.  

I love including metals in my art work and it was a happy day for me when Ranger introduced their Metal Foil Tape Sheets.  I'm here today with some examples on how they can be used.  They can be used as a tape to be applied to a piece that is already constructed or you an apply them to card stock or grunge paper to be embossed and adhered to your art piece.  I like to apply them to Ranger manila card stock prior to embossing.  The manila card stock is so heavy and sturdy, resulting in such a nice crisp embossing.  For my pieces here, the foil tape was applied to manila CS.  
For the wings, after applying the metal tape to the manila CS it was cut with the Heart Wings die, then  embossed with the new Rivited Texture Fade and Black Acrylic Paint Dabber was applied.  I let it sit on there for a few minutes, partially drying, then wiped almost all of it off with a paper towel.   The same process was used with the heart.  
I created a frame using the Styled Labels and Mini Labels dies, again applying the metal tape to manila CS, die cutting and then embossing.  Then I played around with the new Vintaj Patinas that Ranger partnered with Vintaj to created.  This was the first time I have used the patinas.  I thought they would be like alcohol inks, but they are a bit thicker consistency, almost a cross between acrylic paint and alcohol ink in consistency.  They are fast drying so you need to work fairly rapidly.  I broke out a Rusted Hardware set of three patinas and painted the frame. 
I let the patinas dry for a few minutes and then sanded it with my Tim Holtz Sanding Grip.  When using the patinas on metal, Vintaj has a reliefing block for sanding, but I thought since the metal tape was very thin, I would use the sanding grip (my sand paper is pretty worn resulting in a fairly gentle sanding).  
For my third example, I used the foil tape with alcohol inks.  My flowers were cut with the Tattered Florals die and embossed with the Bubble texture fade.
I dripped Stonewashed alcohol ink directly onto the foil tape and let it get almost dry.  Then I dripped Pearl mixative directly onto the flowers also, resulting in a pretty shiny blue surface.  I did not sand the high points as the alcohol ink was fairly transparent and much of the aluminum color showed through.
 And now I have a blue flower that I can use in an upcoming challenge.
Here is one more example of a way I used the foil tape on an altered book project a couple of months ago.  Here again, I used black acrylic paint dabber after embossing and wiped it off before it was fully dried, leaving lots of black in the nooks and crannies.
Our Friday Focus product on sale this week is Metal Foil Tape sheet. The MSRP is $5.99 and my regular price is $4.99, but with the 15% discount for Friday Focus, the price this week is $4.24 so be sure to add it to your cart when shopping at The Funkie Junkie boutique!

14 comments:

  1. Great tut, Linda.
    The metal pieces look wonderful after the treatment with the inks & patina stuff.
    I'll be back to see 'what's new' in 2 wks :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Tutorial Linda, I have learnt a little about paints on foil now, so may have to give it a try.
    Thank you.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial and what great results, have been trying to find the tape in the UK but no-one seems to stock it yet. Will just have to be patient a little longer.......Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Friday share!!! Love working with foil:)
    Have a great weekend!
    ♥hugs♥
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meine Güte!
    Was für ein wunderschönes Werk!

    Liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete
  6. That blue flower is pretty!! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never used the metal foil tape! What a great idea. I've been using Spellbinders metal foil, but I can see where this would be so much better. Very, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great tutorial. I love all of the different things you have done with the foil tape sheets. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  8. Hi Linda I was delighted with this tutorial and I love the metal rivets. Wow ! I love the book pages. Really really effective and what a beautiful piece. Thank you so much for sharing.......crafty hugs Annie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous foil pieces, Linda! The finished altered book is gorgeous! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FABULOUS!!! Your tuts are the best, Linda! Thanks so much for teaching us what's in that brilliant, creative mind! I ALWAYS end up shopping before I can even finish reading the post, LOL! Hugs, Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  11. These embellishment pieces are awesome!!! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So late to the party.... but wanted to say I really love what you've done with the foil tape. These pieces are fab!!!

    ReplyDelete